Sable677

Sable677

Charming by Elliott James

Charming captured my attention with its idea of John Charming being of a line of Charmings who are members of the Knights that slay supernatural beings.  James does a great job at taking this new look at Charming and building his own supernatural world that is governed by the Pax Arcana.  James has an easy to read writing style that puts the reader directly in the action with its first person narrative.  I really enjoyed James' combination of humor, action, mystery, and a hint of romance, and I think his use of first person really added to the story.  As a reader, I really enjoyed getting inside's John's head, and his use of humor to try and deal with things made more of an impact.  It kind of reminded me of Kevin Hearne's The Iron Druid Chronicles which I have also enjoyed.  John is well developed as a character, and as the book progresses he is challenged not just physically but mentally and emotionally as well.  The reader still doesn't know all about his past, but the book does get the reader's attention so that they would want to follow John on his next adventure.  I also really enjoyed the book's secondary characters especially Sig and Molly and felt these characters really added to the story.  Overall this book proved to be an exciting read that I would most definitely recommend if you love action, adventure, and humor with your paranormal.  I am really looking forward to seeing where James takes us next with this series.

Received a copy of Charming through Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.